Lightweight and highly portable, LifeStraw® Family is perfect for camping. It makes filtering water a breeze at base camps, while car camping, or when camping with groups. It’s also great to have at home in the event of boil water advisories. In addition to purifying contaminated tap water, in a worst case scenario you can purify water from any water source near your home with LifeStraw® Family.
- Filters up to 18,000 litres of water to 0.02 microns (20 nm)
- Removes minimum 99.9999% of bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
- Removes minimum 99.999% of viruses (>LOG 5 reduction)
- Removes minimum 99.99% of protozoan cysts (>LOG 4 reduction)
- Requires no electrical power, batteries, or replacement parts
- Requires no running water or piped-in water supply
- Has an easy-to-clean pre-filter and purification cartridge
- All raw materials are US FDA compliant or equivalent
- Flow-rate of 9-12 litres/hour of purified water
How LifeStraw® Family WorksLifeStraw®Family uses advanced hollow fiber technology. Water is forced through narrow fibers under high pressure. Clean water exits through tiny pores in the walls of the hollow fibers, but bacteria, protozoa, and other contaminants are trapped inside the hollow fibres and are flushed out by backwashing. This is a highly efficient method of filtration.
1. The feed water bucket (2 litre capacity) is filled with unpurified water.
2. The 80 micron textile pre-filter (inside the feed water bucket) removes coarser particles and is easy to clean.
3. Water passes through the metre-long blue PVC hose and gravity creates sufficient pressure on the membrane cartridge in order to reach a high flow rate.
4. Ultra filtration takes place in the hollow fibre membrane cartridge–a pore size of 20 nanometre retains bacteria, viruses, parasites and fine dirt particles.
5. The blue tap is turned to release purified water.
6. Backwashing of the membranes is done by squeezing the red backwash bulb three times with both taps closed and then releasing the dirty water from the red tap. Opening the red tap disposes of the dirt and impurities.
NOTE: Water from the red tap should never be consumed.